Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Stone Mountain

Bob, Tallulah & I took some time away from the hospital late in the day today. The twins have been alive for almost four days.

Rachel showed up this morning. (Jenny's sister) She flew in with her little boy James. Just showed up on the front steps and called on her cell. Unebelievable.

We had a visit to the hospital, and Jenny started handling the twins. Then it was off to the Varsity, which is downtown, fairly close to the hospital. The place was packed. I kept noticing the hordes of healthy young kids. I couldn't help wondering if Luna would one day be among them.

We hiked Stone Mountain, which felt good. When Tallulah wasn't listening, I asked Bob alot of questions about a "grade three." (Bob's a pediatric neurologist and has seen these cases often through his decades of doctoring.) He told me it was hard to say -- the important thing appears to be the size of the ventricles. If the ventricles increase in size, we're in trouble. If they stay the same, we'll be okay.

There was wild fox ontop of Stone Mountain. Some idiots kept chasing it with a camera. The fox was zig-zagging, panting, looking about wildly. I felt sorry for it. All these clumps of people -- probably hundreds -- milling around the top of this giant rock, and the fox is confused, disoriented. People tried to take pictures. A beautiful animal, deep red fur, quick moving legs. He trotted towards a little boy, and I hope nothing would happen. Would the boy approach it? He did not.

There is nothing we can do but wait on the next ultrasound. It's agonizing. I'm not sleeping well. I keep watching old movies that I like when I can't sleep. I've had alot of beer, but not too much, because I'm worried I'll have to drive into the NICU at a moment's notice.

I went to the hospital late in the evening and huddled over Luna in her isolet.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Darby and Jenny, my heart just aches for you! I'll be praying that Luna's next ultrasound goes well and the ventricle size hasn't increased. I hope Tallulah isn't too freaked out with Mommy being so upset. I'm sure she really doesn't understand things. I wish I still lived close to you guys to take her to the park or anything!

    All the best to you both, well to all five of you! ~Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sorry to hear about all of this. When Sam was born, he had to spend a week in the NICU. It was a long week, but the hardest part was that we couldn't bring Anna in there to see her new brother, that she'd been expecting for so long. She couldn't understand what was going on and why we could see him, while she couldn't.

    My heart goes out to you guys. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Want to comment? Great. I'd love to hear from you.